What you need:
- 1 lb. of white beans (Navy or Great Northern), soaked overnight or quick-soaked, which is convenient if you didn't know you'd have a snow day. If you're really in a pinch, drain and rinse 4 cans of beans.
- 1 onion, diced (or 2 onions if you really dig onions)
- 1/2 T olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 4-oz cans of diced green chilis
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1.5-2 lb. chicken, cubed
- 5 C. (3 cans) chicken broth (not pictured, oops. I used less, about 4 C, because I didn't use a full pound of dried beans)
- 2 C. grated cheese (also not pictured)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
Optional, But So Good, Garnishes:
- tortilla chips
- sour cream
What to do:
- If you didn't start soaking your beans the night before, quick soak using the link above-this still takes about an hour. Drain.
- Saute the onion over medium-high heat until clear. Add garlic, green chilis, cumin, oregano, and cayenne. Saute 2 minutes more. *this step can be skipped if you're in a rush-just dump all ingredients into crockpot*
- Place contents of pan and all other ingredients into crockpot, except cheese and garnishes.
- Cover, cooking on low for 8-10 hours or high 4-6.
- Add 1 cup on the cheese and stir in.
- Serve in bowls topped with remaining cheese and desired garnishes.