Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Apple Cranberry Crisp


I love this recipe because it's so easy to adapt to any fruit you like. And you don't have to make a pie crust-a major plus in my book! I made this when some friends came up and it was a hit. I wasn't really planning on featuring it, but then I decided to finally write down the ingredients of my mom's "crisp" topping so I'd have it forever. So here you are, just forgive the lack of pictures!

What you need:
Insides:

  • Fruit of choice: I used 4 apples, cored and sliced but not peeled, about 1.5 cups of fresh cranberries, and a handful of raisins.
  • 1 t. cinnamon
  • a couple squirts of agave nectar-maybe 1-2 T

Crisp topping:

  • 1/2 C chopped walnuts
  • 3/4 C oats
  • 1/4 C flour
  • 1/4 t. salt
  • 1/4 C brown sugar
  • 1/4 C butter, melted
What to Do:
  1. Cut fruit and combine in a bowl with cinnamon and agave nectar or other sweetener.
  2. Mix all crisp ingredients except butter in a bowl. Melt butter, and mix it in too.
  3. Lightly grease a baking dish, and fill with fruit mixture.
  4. Top with crisp ingredients. If you have a small dish, the crisp topping will be thicker. If you use a larger baking dish, the topping will have to be spread thinner, or you might want to make a little more.
  5. Cook for about 30 minutes at 375. Fruit will be soft and the topping will be crispy. You can also make ahead and just pop it in the oven when you're getting close to dessert time.

No comments:

Post a Comment