- 2 chicken breasts
- olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2-3 celery stalks, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- optional: chopped mushrooms and/or 1/2 bell pepper, chopped
- 4-6 cups chicken stock
- 1 t. thyme
- 1/2 t dried parsley (or fresh if you have it!)
- fresh ground pepper
- a dash of oregano
- 4 oz noodles of your choice-egg noodles are traditional
What to do:
- Salt some water in a small pot and throw the chicken breasts in to simmer.
- While they're simmering, chop all those veggies!
- Put a drizzle of oil into a deep pot or dutch oven and put in the onions. After a couple minutes, add the carrots, celery, and garlic.
- While those simmer, remove the chicken out of the water to cool. Then pour chicken water through a mesh strainer and add the water to the pot, with some "better than boullion" or boullion cubes. That gave me about 2 cups of liquid, so I added 2 more cups from a box.
- Dice chicken and add to pot.
- Add mushrooms and peppers if using, thyme, parsley, pepper, and oregano. Don't add salt until you taste it, because the stock contains salt and may be enough for you.
- If you want to let it all simmer for awhile, feel free. Check your pasta directions, put in the pot, and cover with broth if needed. I added 2 more cups of stock to the original 4 cups. Simmer according to package directions, probably 10-15 minutes, and remove from heat. Taste and add salt/pepper if desired, and serve!
Post a Comment