What you need:
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2-4 cloves garlic, diced
- 1-2 T. curry powder to taste (curry powder is NOT hot, but it is flavorful!) Unless you buy the hot kind. I used 2T majarajan curry powder and a sprinkle of the hot stuff. Edit: I still make this all the time, but for more kick I love using a hot curry paste instead!
- 1 t. ground ginger
- a bunch (3-4 cups) of veggies: I've used the "Normandy mix" of frozen veggies, but when I have them fresh, that's what I use. Clean out that veggie drawer! Good options are cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, sweet potatoes, shelled edemame, and bell peppers. Of course, if you're following South Beach or a low-carb plan, find out if you're allowed sweet potatoes or carrots first!
- 1 can coconut milk (light)
- 1/2 C. chicken broth
- salt & pepper
- optional, rice or noodles to serve with.
Trim fat off chicken and cut into 1" cubes. Salt and pepper the chicken and cook in oil over medium-high heat until lightly browned. Use your giant frying pan! When done, remove from pan.
Turn heat to medium low. Using the same pan, add onion, garlic, curry powder, and ginger and cook for about 2 minutes.
Add coconut milk, broth, and sweet potatoes and carrots, if using. They need at least a 5-minute head start on the other veggies to soften up. Cover and simmer for about 5 minutes.
Then add other vegetables and allow to simmer, covered, for another 5-10 minutes.
Add chicken back into the sauce and cook for about 5 more minutes. The sauce will cook down.
Serve hot! If not watching carbs, serve over rice or noodles of your choice. This makes delicious leftovers and freezes well.