Sunday, April 22, 2012

Turkey, Pumpkin, Bean Soup/Chili!

After I read this original recipe on Gina's Skinny Recipes, http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/10/crockpot-turkey-white-bean-pumpkin.html, I knew I'd have to try it! Since I love black beans, had all ingredients on hand, AND people in the comments wondered how to make it with dried beans instead of canned, I decided it was worth posting my adaptation. I've made it twice so far and it's hearty, filling, and healthy. Also, I've had pureed pumpkin in my freezer with nowhere to go for who knows how long. Also, you really can't taste the pumpkin at all, but I'm pretty sure it's good for you. Here it is!

What you need:

  • A little olive oil
  • 1.25 lb. of ground turkey
  • 1 can of dried beans, presoaked overnight.  I used 1/2 cup of Great Northern beans and 1/2 cup of black beans. Forget to soak your beans ahead of time?
  • 2 C chicken broth/stock
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1 can of pureed pumpkin. NOT PUMPKIN PIE MIX. Just plain old pumpkin!
  • 1 4-oz can diced green chilis
  • 1-2 chopped bell peppers (I added an extra red pepper after I took the picture.)
  • 2 tsp. of minced garlic, or 4 minced garlic cloves
  • 2 tsp. cumin
  • 1 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 tsp. oregano
  • 2 bay leaves
Optional toppings:
  • Sour cream or Greek yogurt
  • Green onions and or cilantro.
What to do
  • Soak beans overnight or quick soak, using the method above. Try not to be alarmed by the purple beans greeting you in the morning. Rinse.
  • Brown and drain ground turkey.
  • While the turkey is browning, dice onion. Add beans, broth, pumpkin, green chilis, and spices to the crockpot. (You can also dice the peppers, but won't add them yet)
  • Add browned turkey to crockpot, and cook on low for 7-8 hours, or high for 3 1/2-4 hours.
  • I don't care for super soggy peppers so I added them in at the end., about 1/2 hour before serving.
  • Serve with sour cream or Greek yogurt, green onions, and cilantro.
Verdict:
Yum! You could even add some more broth if you want this to be "soupy" but I liked the thick consistency. Add more chili powder if your family likes some kick! I liked it just the way it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment