What you need:
- A little olive oil
- 1.25 lb. of ground turkey
- 1 can of dried beans, presoaked overnight. I used 1/2 cup of Great Northern beans and 1/2 cup of black beans. Forget to soak your beans ahead of time?
- 2 C chicken broth/stock
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 can of pureed pumpkin. NOT PUMPKIN PIE MIX. Just plain old pumpkin!
- 1 4-oz can diced green chilis
- 1-2 chopped bell peppers (I added an extra red pepper after I took the picture.)
- 2 tsp. of minced garlic, or 4 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Green onions and or cilantro.
- Soak beans overnight or quick soak, using the method above. Try not to be alarmed by the purple beans greeting you in the morning. Rinse.
- Brown and drain ground turkey.
- While the turkey is browning, dice onion. Add beans, broth, pumpkin, green chilis, and spices to the crockpot. (You can also dice the peppers, but won't add them yet)
- Add browned turkey to crockpot, and cook on low for 7-8 hours, or high for 3 1/2-4 hours.
- I don't care for super soggy peppers so I added them in at the end., about 1/2 hour before serving.
- Serve with sour cream or Greek yogurt, green onions, and cilantro.
Yum! You could even add some more broth if you want this to be "soupy" but I liked the thick consistency. Add more chili powder if your family likes some kick! I liked it just the way it was.
Post a Comment