I was looking online for a go-to healthy soup, and I thought this one from foodbabe.com fit the bill. I decided to modify it for the crockpot, double it, and add some more colorful veggies, and now I'm afraid it doesn't have a lot in common with the inspiration....but it is darn good! It's also good for cleaning out the crisper drawer-if you have most ingredients, I wouldn't recommend running out to buy one or two missing items, unless you really like grocery shopping!
What you need:
A 6-quart or larger crockpot!!! Mine is 5 and I'm having some major overflow problems!! Due to the overflow I actually had to finish 1/2 of it on a pot on the stove....
- 2 lb. chicken breasts (frozen is fine)
- 4 C chicken stock
- 1 onion, diced
- 1-2 bunches of celery, including the leafy tops, chopped.
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 can of white beans, drained and rinsed
- 2-3 T. Italian seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- chopped up green and purple cabbage (by this time I was REALLY short on space and only chopped a small handful of each-do what you like!
- chopped kale and/or spinach-2-4 C. (It really shrinks down while cooked and is SUPER healthy!)
What to do:
- Add all ingredients except kale/spinach to crockpot. If your chicken is frozen, throw it in whole and take it out later to dice, add back to crockpot. If it's thawed, you can dice it now or later.
- Add some water, or water mixed with chicken boullion, if you like a thinner soup. I added 2 C of water, and after I had enough space due to moving overflow to a 2nd pot, I probably added at least 2 C more.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours or high 6-8. I only cooked mine for about 3 hours on high with frozen chicken, and it was done!
- If you haven't cut up your chicken, fish it out and dice into bite-size pieces.
- Add leafy greens and stir until it's cooked down (it only takes a couple minutes), season with pepper, serve!