That's not what ended up happening. Since a pound of shrimp seemed like a lot, I made the original quantity of sauce and it was WAAAAAY too much. I was heartbroken by the thought of throwing it all out after fishing the shrimp out, so I decided to makeover the original casserole recipe and see how it turned out. I liked it!
Also it was pouring, and who likes grilling in the rain? Not me.
Inspired by Kalyn's Kitchen's chicken recipe, which you can view here.
Curried Shrimp, Broccoli, and Quinoa Casserole
What you need:
1/2 C dried quinoa, rinsed until no foam appears
1 C water to cook quinoa in
1 head of broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces (the stalk "trunk" part is totally worth peeling and cutting up too!)
1 C diced bell pepper-about 2/3 large pepper
1 lb. shrimp (I used raw, deveined, peeled shrimps with tails on. If you don't like picking out tails, opt for tail-less shrimp!)
1.5 C. light sour cream
1/2 C light mayo
1 t dijon mustard
3 t curry powder
3 T lemon juice
salt & pepper to taste
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cook quinoa according to package directions-in case you bought it in bulk, after rinsing, put quinoa into a small pot of water, get it to a boil, cover and cook on low for 10-15 minutes.
- Start water boiling-enough to fit the broccoli and pepper in. Cut up broccoli and pepper. When water is boiling, dump veggies in and cook for about 3 minutes-broccoli will turn bright green. Then drain or immerse in cold water to stop cooking.
- Mix the sauce ingredients in a jar or bowl and mix well. Taste. Taste again. Try not to eat the whole bowl with a spoon. Mix well with the shrimp in a big bowl.
- Lightly spray an 8x8" casserole dish. Layer quinoa, veggies, and shrimp/sauce mixture.
- Cook for 30-35 minutes, until bubbly and browning.
It showed up on the blog and I wouldn't give you a flop! Delish and healthy to boot! I'd top with parmesan if I had any. Or could find it in the fridge. Anyway. I'll try the shrimp skewers another time and let you know how those turn out, too.
1/6 of this dish is 7 Weight Watchers Points+.